Accommodation Business

Several types of businesses providing accommodation services need to be registered annually under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act to ensure basic hygiene standards are met.

We register and monitor businesses such as:

  • residential accommodation
  • hotels
  • motels
  • hostels
  • student dormitories
  • holiday camps
  • rooming houses
  • some bed and breakfast operations


You do not require registration if your business operates any of the following:

  • A house under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • A self-contained flat under the exclusive occupation of the occupier
  • Public hospitals, nursing home or health services establishments (registered)
  • Retirement villages
  • Premises in which, other than the family of the proprietor, not more than five persons are accommodated and which is not a rooming house
  • Temporary crisis accommodation


Annual inspections are carried out by Council’s Environmental Health Officers to assess compliance with the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations, covering :-

  • Cleanliness
  • Structural Maintenance
  • Condition of Rooms and Overcrowding
  • Water Supply
  • Sewerage and Waste Water
  • Sanitary Facilities
  • Waste Disposal
  • Pest Control


Useful links

Application form

Fee schedule


WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann