Community Safety Coordinator
Permanent Full Time with monthly RDO
Commencing salary $82,423 p.a. + super
The Hepburn Shire Council is ideally situated within easy access to Melbourne, Ballarat and Bendigo. Renowned for its relaxed lifestyle and spectacular scenery the area is fast becoming a popular haven for culture, food and wine.
Council has an exciting opportunity to appoint a Community Safety Coordinator to supervise and coordinate the administration of Council’s local laws, animal management, parking control, prosecution functions and emergency management in order to enhance the amenity of residents, ratepayers and visitors.
We are looking for a fun and engaged person to join our creative and dynamic team. We are a highly respected, diverse and collaborative team that is excited to be engaged with our community in the lifestyle capital of Australia. If you take pride in your work and thrive on innovation come and join our team.
Key Responsibilities and Duties include:
Compliance and Local Laws
- Effectively oversee the management and compliance of Council’s local laws, animal management, parking control, infringement, fire prevention and prosecution functions in compliance with all relevant legislation and regulations.
- Review and revise Council’s local laws as required by the Local Government Act 1989 and other legislation, and present recommended amendments to Council for adoption.
- Coordinate the annual fire inspection process and the issue of such notices and infringements as required under relevant legislation.
- Undertake the annual animal renewal process and continuously improve the system for maintaining accurate and complete animal registration data.
- Coordinate Council’s responsibilities for school crossings, including recruitment, scheduling, supervising, training and equipping of supervisors.
- Oversee the administration of Council’s Municipal Emergency Management Plan in accordance with the Act and ensure that all sub-plans and the Community Emergency Risk Assessment are current and relevant.
- Manage Council’s responsibilities and statutory requirements related to fire within the parameters of the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer.
- Assist with response, relief and recovery arrangements in accordance with Council’s Municipal Emergency Management Plan (including Relief and Recovery Plans).
Key Selection Criteria:
- Appropriate qualifications and/or relevant experience to meet the position requirements.
- Demonstrated relevant experience in, and sound understanding of compliance, prosecution and emergency management functions.
- Strong knowledge of relevant legislation, regulatory and statutory requirements and the ability to interpret, understand and explain the Acts, Codes, Regulations, guidelines and work practices that apply to this position.
- Experience in policy and local law development, process improvement and system development.
- Demonstrated management skills with the ability to lead and develop staff, and manage budgets.
- High level conflict resolution and problem solving skills with the ability to inform, educate and advise others of Council’s activities and decisions.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to set work programs for team members to achieve organisational and team objectives.
- Demonstrated customer-focused approach in service delivery with a strong emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Experience in using MS Office and corporate databases.
- Ability to demonstrate and display the Hepburn Shire Council Values – Accountability, Respect, Excellence, Trust and Fun.
To apply, please submit your application through SEEK here.
Applications are to include a:
- Cover letter;
- Resume; and
- Statement addressing the Key Selection Criteria as outlined above.
A position description and further information can be obtained at the Council’s web page www.hepburn.vic.gov.au.
Should you have any difficulties submitting your application online, please email your application to email@example.com.
For a confidential discussion call Steve Millard, Manager Strategic Asset Management on 5321 6407.
Closing date: Sunday 8 May 2016