Environmental Health Coordinator
12 Month Full Time Fixed Term Contract with monthly RDO
Commencing salary $82,423.12 p.a. + super
The Hepburn Shire Council is ideally situated within easy access to Melbourne, Ballarat and Bendigo. Renowned for its relaxed lifestyle and spectacular scenery the area is fast becoming a popular haven for culture, food and wine.
Council has an exciting opportunity to appoint an Environmental Health Coordinator in a 12 month fixed term contract to lead the Environmental Health Team in the provision of an efficient and competent municipal environmental health services that enhance and protect the health and wellbeing of the community.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Administer responsibilities under the Local Government Act 1989, Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, Food Act 1984, Environmental Protection Act 1970, Tobacco Act 1987, Residential Tenancies Act 1997, Summary Offences Act 1996 and other Acts, Regulations, Codes of Practice, Local Laws and other statutory requirements delegated by Council.
- Review and implement Council’s Environmental Health policies and plans.
- Investigate, mediate and resolve complaints and nuisances within the meaning of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.
- Prepare evidence, initiate enforcement action and represent Council in legal proceedings for infringements against the relevant Acts, Regulations, Codes of Practice and Local Laws.
- Determine the suitability of septic tank systems proposed to be installed, issue permits where appropriate and advise on the suitability of proposed unsewered subdivisions.
- Investigate outbreaks on infectious disease in accordance with Department of Health protocols.
- Assist with the development, implementation and review of policies and health education initiatives for environmental health programs.
- Maintain records necessary for the administration of the position.
- Mentor other Environmental Health staff as appropriate.
Key Selection Criteria:
- A tertiary qualification in an environmental health discipline or other qualifications that satisfies the requirements of membership status of Environmental Health Australia along with substantial experience as an environmental health officer or in an allied discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing a team and fostering a culture of continuous improvement and strong customer service.
- Sound knowledge and demonstrated experience in environmental health programs.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and the ability to develop options and solve problems as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to prepare high level reports, briefings and presentations.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and project delivery with a focus on achieving results on time and within budget.
- Empathy with the concept of a customer service focus, along with a commitment to delivering high quality customer service.
- Ability to manage time, set priorities and plan and organise own work and that of the team to achieve specific and set objectives within set timeframes despite conflicting pressures.
- High level computer literacy skills and experience with electronic document management systems, GIS and other relevant database applications, programs and software; such as TRIM, Technology One and MS Office Suite.
- A current Victorian Driver’s Licence.
- Ability to demonstrate and display the Hepburn Shire Council Values – Accountability, Respect, Excellence, Trust and Fun.
To apply, please submit your application through SEEK here.
Applications are to include a:
- Cover letter;
- Resume; and
- Statement addressing the Key Selection Criteria as outlined above.
A position description and further information can be obtained at the Council’s web page www.hepburn.vic.gov.au.
Should you have any difficulties submitting your application online, please email your application to email@example.com.
For a confidential discussion call Justin Fiddes, Manager Planning on 5321 6458.
Closing date: Sunday 20 December 2015