Fire Services Property Levy
From 1 July 2013 the Victorian Government will introduce a property based levy to fund fire fighting services in Victoria, as recommended by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.
The Fire Services Property Levy will replace the existing insurance -based funding model. All property owners will pay the levy at the same time as they pay their council rates.
Under the property-based levy:
- councils will collect the levy through rates notices on behalf of the State Government;
- the levy will be calculated based on the capital improved value of a property;
- the levy will consist of a fixed component plus a variable component calculated as a percentage of capital improved property values;
- the fixed component will be $114 for residential properties and $233 for non-residential properties;
- the variable component will differ for property types such as residential, industrial, commercial and primary production; and
- eligible pensioners will be entitled to a $50 rebate against the Fire Services Levy for their principal place of residence.
For more information, including a FAQ, visit firelevy.vic.gov.au
An online calculation tool can be found at http://www.firelevy.vic.gov.au/how-is-it-calculated.html