The Hepburn Mineral Springs Reserve (HMSR) Improvement Project aims to improve the visitor experience at the reserve, which remains one of the most popular resident and visitor destinations in the Hepburn Shire. The HMSR is of state significance due to the rich history surrounding the area and the unique nature of the natural mineral springs located in the reserve.
To keep you informed of the project we are holding monthly community conversations. Come along to hear more about the project at the upcoming sessions:
- Friday 16 June 1.00pm – 2.00pm
- Thursday 20 July 11.00am – 12.00pm
- Monday 21 August 2.00pm – 3.00pm
The HMSR improvement project will improve conservation, connections and paths, sustainable management, maintenance, interpretation and wayfinding signage, entry presentation, planting and traffic management. The specific projects are as follows.
- Installation of a new gateway sign, destination and wayfinding signage and improvements to the existing interpretative signage.
- Improvements to the HMSR gateway landscaping.
- Upgrades to the picnic carpark including replacement of the decaying timber kerbing with concrete kerbs and wheel stops.
- Upgrades to the picnic carpark landscaping including removal of dangerous trees, significant tree (26 No) and groundcover planting (over 6000 No) and upgrades to the picnic areas including fencing of the steep embankment.
- Construction of a paths connecting the HMSR to the Hepburn Springs township including from the new pedestrian bridge to Mineral Springs Crescent and along Mineral Springs Crescent from the HMSR entry to the existing path across the creek.
- Construction of a footpath along Mineral Springs Crescent to Main Road and the remainder of the town’s footpath network.
- Construction and upgrade of the pedestrian path from the Bathhouse to the rear of the Pavilion Cafe.
- Construction of an accessible concrete path to Locarno Springs including removal of perpendicular carparking and continuation of the concrete footpath from the Bathhouse and including upgrading of the planting around the Locarno Springs.
- Construction of an accessible concrete path to the Mineral Springs including planting to reduce requirements of mowing steep slopes.
- Upgrades to the planting around the Mineral Springs including the entire north bank and a 5m width along the south bank of indigenous grasses and new plantings (of native and exotic species) to the Soda Springs gardens.
- A series of minor projects including the following.
- Replacement of the vehicle access gate with a removable bollard to make pedestrian access easier.
- Relocation of the bins around the picnic area where they are more in demand.
- Refurbishment including painting of the heritage lights.
- Relocation of the interpretative signs so they are accessible and readable.