Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) (‘the Act’) gives you a general right of access to information held by Council.
How to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request
Before you make an FOI request, please read the following guidelines.
- You application must be in writing using the FOI Request Form and must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee of $29.60.
- Your request should be clear and concise and specify exactly the documents that you are seeking.
- Provide an accurate description of the documents you are seeking.
- All requests should provide a time period in which you wish Council to undertake a search within, for example 1 January 2020 to 13 March 2020.
- Try to avoid phrases like ‘all documents in relation to’ and ‘including but not limited to’.
Please send your FOI request to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Hepburn Shire Council
PO Box 21
Daylesford VIC 3460
Fees and access charges
A person making a request for documents or information under FOI is required to pay an application fee of $29.60.
The Freedom of Information (Access Charges) Regulations 2014 (Vic) set charges related to the costs incurred by an agency in granting access to documents requested. Whether these costs apply depends on the nature of a request. All fees and charges are exempt from GST. These costs are in addition to the application fee.
|The current rates are as follows:|
|Search and retrieval||$22.20 per hour, or part of an hour|
|Supervision charges||$22.20 per hour (to be calculated per quarter hour or part of a quarter hour|
|Photocopying||20 cents per A4 page (black and white)|
Where it is anticipated that the costs associated with your application will exceed $50.00, the applicant will be advised, and requested to submit a deposit should they wish Council to proceed in undertaking a search for the documents.
What happens to your request?
Once Council receives your request:
- Council’s FOI Officer will determine if your request is a valid request
- If the request is invalid, Council’s FOI Officer will contact you providing assistance on how to submit a valid request
- Once a valid request has been received, you will receive correspondence from Council advising this and the next steps Council will undertake to process your application.
- Your request will be forwarded to the to the relevant departments
- Council has between 30 to 45 days from the date you make a valid request to provide you with a decision.
- The timeframe will depend on whether or not Council needs additional time to consult with third parties whose information may be contained in the requested documents.
- For more information regarding how to process a valid FOI request please visit the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner via this link https://ovic.vic.gov.au/freedom-of-information/for-the-public/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/
Please contact Council’s Freedom of Information Officer on 5321 6450 if you have any questions concerning FOI at Hepburn Shire Council.