Parks and Open Space Team Leader: Gardens and Arboriculture Works
Parks and Open Space Team Leader
(Gardens and Arboriculture Works)
Permanent Full Time with monthly RDO
Band 5 ($58,008 – $67,643) + super
The Hepburn Shire Council is ideally situated within easy access to Melbourne, Ballarat and Bendigo. Renowned for its relaxed lifestyle and spectacular scenery the area is fast becoming a popular haven for culture, food and wine.
Council has an exciting opportunity within the Strategic Project Delivery Team to appoint a Parks and Open Space Team Leader to this newly created position in the area of Gardens and Arboriculture Works based in Daylesford. We are seeking an individual who has experience assisting in the delivery of objectives for a Parks and Open Space team through effective promotion and encouragement of team spirit, whilst overseeing and leading the activities of staff members engaged in a variety of maintenance duties for Botanical Gardens, Public Gardens and Trees in reserves.
Key responsibilities and duties:
The position objectives are to:
- Assist and support the Parks and Open Space Co-ordinator in planning and overseeing all activities of the Parks and Gardens team to ensure service standards, objectives and priorities are met.
- Preparation of team work plans and schedules and allocate duties to achieve work schedules in consultation with the Parks and Open space coordinator.
- Continuously explore improvement opportunities in the delivery of maintenance service, such as alternatives to herbicide use.
- Oversee the management of tree inspections and condition assessments.
- Support the implementation of Council’s Electric Line Clearance Management Plan.
- Oversee Council’s Elm Leaf Beetle treatment Strategy and Tree Management Policy
- Audit and report on condition of Council’s managed gardens and trees.
- Perform safe and competent operational duties for the construction and maintenance works as required, including direction of on-site progress of works and ensuring appropriate safety procedures, for both work crews/operators and park users are observed.
- Provide a highly professional, responsive and customer oriented approach at all times.
- To ensure the requirements and objectives of the Parks and Open Space Unit are met by displaying effective supervision of staff and resources.
To be successful you will possess:
- Diploma in Arboriculture and Horticulture or lesser formal qualifications with relevant work skills and experience. Experience working within a Local Government environment is desirable but not essential.
- Current medium rigid drivers license, a chainsaw operating certificate, first aid certification, farm chemical users certificate, traffic management qualification and OH&S general induction for construction sites
- Demonstrated staff supervisory and team building experience and competence
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, set priorities as well as plan and organise work for both self and team to achieve set objectives in the most efficient way possible within the available resources and timeframe
- Ability to develop, plan, program, undertake and supervise the maintenance and improvement works associated with Council’s Botanical Gardens, Public Gardens and Trees
- Excellent verbal communications skills and the capacity to deal with employees and the public effectively
- Demonstrated experience in tree inspection and condition assessments.
- Excellent and practical OHS and Traffic Management knowledge
- Knowledge of plan reading and pegging site requirements and processes in regards to parks and gardens projects and works along with the ability to estimate quantities and materials
- Ability to demonstrate and display the Hepburn Shire Council Values – Accountability, Respect, Excellence, Trust and Fun
A copy of the Position Description is available through the employment section on the Council’s website: www.hepburn.vic.gov.au.
Applications must include a resume and statement addressing the Key Selection Criteria in the Position Description, and be emailed to email@example.com
For a confidential discussion call Darren Dumesny, Manager Strategic Project Delivery on 0417 144 403.
Closing date: Sunday 12 July 2015