Select Page

Do I need a permit?

How do I know if I need a Planning Permit?

Whether you need a planning permit or not will depend on a number of factors including the zone in which your land is located, whether any overlays apply to your land or if the development or use is subject to any ‘Particular Provisions’ in the Planning Scheme. This information can be found in the Hepburn Planning Scheme.

Many types of use and development require a planning permit, including (but not limited to):

  • Building a house or a shed
  • Establishing a business (including working from home)
  • Industrial or commercial development
  • Subdividing land
  • Liquor License
  • Advertising signage
  • Clearing or lopping of native vegetation
  • Keeping animals
  • How do I find out what planning controls affect my property?

    You can obtain a report on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website that gives you the zone and overlay controls affecting your property. Using this, you can then go to the Hepburn Planning Scheme to view the zones and overlays.

    Alternatively you can contact the Planning Department on 03 5348 1577 for assistance.