Select Page

Objecting to a Planning Application

If you think you may be affected detrimentally by the work proposed in a planning application, you are entitled to object.

Finding out about a planning application

If the owner of a property near you proposes building works, we may require that they ‘give notice’, or inform you of their plans. The application is ‘advertised’ to you via mail, a public notice or ads in the paper.

How to object

You have 14 days from the commencement of the advertising period to lodge your objection by:

  • Lodging an objection by emailing
  • Writing a letter outlining the reasons for the objection
  • Completing the Objection to an Application for Planning Permit hardcopy form
  • Forms and letters can be sent by email to or by mail to Planning Department, PO Box 21, Daylesford 3460, or dropped in at any of Councils Service Centres.

    Please note: Your objection must include your name, residential address, email address and state how you believe you will be affected by the application for it to be considered by Council.

    Before lodging an objection, it is important that you view the associated plans and documents to understand what is being proposed. This can be done online or at the Duke Street Office during the office hours of 8.30am to 5pm.

    The applicant will get a copy of the objections so they can respond to the issues raised. You may still object to a proposal if you are not formally notified, if you have valid grounds.

    All objections will be made available for public inspection at the Planning office during the entire application process.


    An objection can also be in the form of a petition. The petition must identify a contact person who informs all of the other petitioners about the process of the application and who will receive a copy of the final decision.

    A petition is considered to be one submission and must explain how the people that sign it are affected by the application.

    Consultation and our decision

    Once the advertising period has ended, the planner will begin assessing objections. Simple issues may be resolved through informal discussions or conditions may be able to be included as part of any decision to address the concern that is raised. You may be asked to attend a consultation meeting to address more complex issues.

    If agreement or resolution is reached, the objectors may seek to formally withdraw their objection in writing. Then a planning permit can then be issued.

    The applicant may be choose to make changes and liaise with objectors in order to satisfy the requirements of all parties.

    If agreement is unable to be reached, the application may proceed on the basis of the the original application and officers make a decision based on the concerns of residents and the policy within the Hepburn Planning Scheme or the application may be required to be heard at a formal Council meeting for a final decision.

    All objectors will be notified of Council’s decision in writing. If the applicant or the objectors do not agree with the decision, an Application for Review can be lodged with VCAT to appeal the decision.