Violence against women and children is a serious social justice issue. Hepburn Council condemns not only abuse itself but also societal attitudes that normalise it, tolerate it or create an atmosphere to perpetuate it.
Women and children are at greater risk of experiencing violence due to individual and societal attitudes, beliefs and norms that condone violence. Gender inequality and discrimination have also been demonstrated to simultaneously contribute to Domestic Violence against women and children. This vulnerability extends to groups within the council’s borders including; rural and remote communities, LGBTIQ, older woman, people with disabilities, migrants and indigenous people.
Hepburn Council therefore pledges to work with community groups/organisations and minority representatives to address this crucial issue.
The Hepburn Shire Council Prevention of Violence Against Women and Children Leadership Statement was adopted by Council in June 2020.
If you or someone you know is experiencing family violence, please see the below support services.
- 1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732
- Safe Steps: 1800 015 188 (for female identifying only)
- Men’s Referral Service: 1300 766 491(https://ntv.org.au/) (for male identifying only)
- Kids Help Line: 1800 55 1800 (for children and youth)
- Rainbow Door – for the LGBTIQA+ support services: Phone 1800 729 367 or Text 0480 017 246 (https://www.rainbowdoor.org.au/)
- Berry St Western Region – including crisis and after hours service: 5331 3558 (for victim survivors including children)
- WRISC Family Violence Support: 5333 3666 (for victim survivors including children)
- Child and Family Services (CAFS) Ballarat: 5337 3333, Daylesford 5348 8200, Bacchus Marsh 53679900 (for family support, perpetrators and men or adolescents using violence)
Please call 000 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger
For more information on family violence please visit the following link on the Central Highlands Primary Care Partnership website – http://www.chpcp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/You-are-not-alone-_-family-violence-booklet_FINAL-003.pdf