Responsible Pet Ownership
Being responsible for your pet protects you, your pet and members of the community.
If you own a dog or a cat, you must:
- Register each dog and cat you own
- Keep your dog under control when walking it
- Keep your dog confined to your property at all other times
- Make sure your dog doesn’t bark persistently
- Stop your dog or cat straying onto another person’s property
- Prevent your dog chasing or attacking people or other animals
- Obey any Council Local Law about having your dog on a leash
You can be fined for breaking the law relating to dogs and cats.
You may also have to pay a release fee if your animals are found wandering and are impounded by Council.
Every Council is required by State legislation to publish a plan on what animal management activities they will deliver. Hepburn Shire Council's Domestic Animal Management Plan