- Permanent full-time with monthly RDO
- Commencing salary $62,834.20 p.a. + 9.5% superannuation (Band 5)
- Daylesford location
We are a small rural council delivering services to the community. With over 180 employees we promote a supportive, professional and motivating work environment, encouraging staff to deliver positive outcomes for the organisation and community. Located in central Victoria and ideally situated within easy access to Melbourne, Ballarat and Bendigo it is a great place to live and work.
About the role:
Hepburn Shire Council has an opportunity for two Statutory Planners to join our Planning Department. The primary function of this position is to ensure the provision of high-quality planning services to the Shire. You will deliver statutory planning outcomes that reflect the policies, objectives and strategies in the Hepburn Planning Scheme and that are in accordance with the provisions of the Planning & Environment Act 1987.
Key responsibilities and duties:
- Undertake the assessment and processing of planning and subdivision applications, including an analysis of the requirements of the Hepburn Planning Scheme, Planning and Environment Act, Subdivision Act, and other legislation affecting town planning as well as ensuring that applications are forwarded to relevant authorities for comment when required.
- Provision of advice to members of the public regarding the interpretation of the Hepburn Planning Scheme, the Planning and Environment Act and other planning matters generally.
- Exercising delegated authority, and reporting to the Coordinator Planning, Manager Development & Community Safety and Council (as directed), in respect of the determination of planning permit applications and administration of Council’s planning control functions.
- Preparation and presentation of verbal and written reports and communications to Council, government organisations, community groups, members of the public and business client base.
- Assist in the proper and thorough administration and use of the Planning and Environment Act, the Hepburn Planning Scheme, and Council policies as well as other Acts, policies and codes as may be relevant to the duties of the position.
- Liaise with building services staff on planning matters relating to building development as well as liaise with engineering and environmental health staff in respect of matters likely to affect planning aspects of any development.
A strong candidate for this role will have:
- A qualification in Town Planning or other related discipline, with some relevant experience or lesser formal qualifications together with a minimum of two years of relevant practical experience in a Local Government environment.
- Ability to investigate and prepare reports and recommendations on varied planning issues as part of development assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to be an integral part of a team striving to produce the most efficient service practicable to customers.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills with the ability to manage community expectations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven problem-solving abilities, strategic thinking and sound judgment.
How to apply
Please submit your application via SEEK and include the following:
- Cover letter;
- Resume; and
- Statement addressing the Key Selection Criteria as outlined in the PD.
A position description and further information can be obtained by visiting Council’s Employment Opportunities web page: https://www.hepburn.vic.gov.au/employment-opportunities/
For a confidential discussion please contact Nathan Aikman, Coordinator Planning on (03) 5321 6443.
Applications close 9 February 2020.
Hepburn Shire Council is committed to providing an inclusive and safe work environment which embraces the diverse backgrounds and experience of all people.