Select Page

Works Within Road Reserve/Crossover Construction

Permission is required by individuals, contractors and companies wanting to dig up any section of Shire road, footpath or nature strip. This enables the correct mechanisms to be put in place for public liability and ensures that the ‘dug up’ area is appropriately replaced.

When you need a Works Within a Road Reserve permit

A Works Within a Road Reserve permit is required for any works within the road reserve including a road, footpath or nature strip.

This is often the case with excavations, trenching or core sampling, connecting water, gas or stormwater, driveway/crossover construction/upgrade and soil testing.

Determining who is responsible for a road

If you carry out works involving disturbing/digging up a footpath, nature strip or roadway, you must apply for consent from the coordinating road authority.

VicRoads is the coordinating road authority for all freeways and many arterial roads. Council is the coordinating road authority for all other streets and laneways in the shire.

Roads managed by VicRoads, are available from the VicRoads website or by calling 131171. A list of VicRoads managed roads is also available on Council’s website.

How to apply for a Works Within a Road Reserve permit

If Council is the coordinating road authority, complete and submit the Application for Works on Road Reserve, along with a copy of your traffic management plan to: 

  • Email –
  • Mail – Hepburn Shire Council, P.O. Box 21, Daylesford 3460 or
  • Bring your form into a Council Customer Service Centre.

Permit fees

Lodging a Works Within a Road Reserve permit application incurs a fee that is set by the Victorian Government. Fees depend on the road classification and work type. Please refer to the Schedule of Application Fees and Charges listed on the application form.

Important – Dial Before You Dig

To prevent damage and disruption to Australia’s vast underground pipe and cable network which carries essential services including our electricity, gas, communications and water, it is important to locate these services before carrying out any works on your property. Find out where any pipes and drains are located by contacting Dial Before you Dig on 1100 or by visiting the Dial Before You Dig website. Neglecting to dial 1100 before excavating can lead to costly disruption to essential services and injury or death to workers and the general public. It can also lead to heavy financial penalties.

Guidelines for Vehicle Crossover Construction


Crossover Standard Drawings

Rural Arterial Roads (VicRoads Managed) Standard Drawings