Select Page

Your Rates Explained

How to read your rates notice

Click on the images below regarding how to read your rates notice and rates information and payment options.


Q: How are my rates calculated?

A: The Capital Improved Value (CIV) of a property is used to calculate the rate amount to be paid. Rates are calculated by multiplying the Capital Improved Value (CIV) by the differential rate in the dollar.

For example:

House and land valued (CIV) $500,000 on a general rate would be

500,000 X 0.002927 = $1,463.50

The various differential rates in the dollar are:

Differential Rate TypeRate – Cents per $CIV 2021/22
General Rate0.002927
Farm Rate0.001903
Commercial Rate0.003395
Industrial Rate0.003395
Mixed Use Rate0.003395
Vacant Land Rate – Township0.003659
Vacant Land Rate – Other0.002927
Trust for Nature Rate0.001464
Recreational Rate0.001464


Q: What does the AVPCC Code on my rates notice mean?

A: The Council’s contract valuer has assigned an AVPCC (Australian Valuation Property Classification Code) to your property, according to the use of your land. As determined under the provisions of the Fire Services Levy Property Act 2012, the AVPCC is used to derive your property’s land use classification which is used to calculate the FSL charge.


Q: My rates have increased by more than the rate cap of 1.50%

A:  The 1.50% rates increase does not apply to the rates for an individual property but is applied to the total amount of general rates that Council will collect. The total rates amount is divided by the total value of property within the Shire to give a rate in the dollar. The rate is then multiplied by the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of your property to calculate your general rates charge.


Q: Why has my valuation increased?

A: Council must annually reassess the valuation of all properties within its municipality. A valuation determines the market value of a property, at a specific date and in accordance with relevant legislation and legal precedent.

To work out how much each property is worth, the contract valuer analyses property sales and rental data trends, as well as other factors such as: the highest and best use of the land; house value and other site improvements; land shape, size and location.

Council’s valuations have been conducted by an independent, licensed contract valuer, VRC Property.


Q: Am I entitled to a pensioner rebate?

A: Centrelink and Veterans’ Affairs pensioners may be entitled to a State Government rebate on their principal place of residence.

This principal place of residence must be within Hepburn Shire Council for them to be eligible. Holders of Veterans’ Affairs Pension Cards and Centrelink Pensioner Concession Cards are eligible for this rebate, but holders of the Centrelink Health Care Card are not eligible. Application forms and assistance are available from council’s offices. You must present your pension concession card when applying.

The Municipal Rates concession is an annual capped amount set by the Department of Human Services, being an amount of $247.00 for 2021/2022.

In addition to this amount, Hepburn Shire Council has made provision in its 2021/22 Budget for an additional $21 rebate for pensioners who qualify under the State Government’s Pensioner Rate Remission scheme to accommodate the difficulties experienced by pensioners.

Eligible pensioners will also be entitled to a $50 rebate against the Fire Services Levy.

The total rebate amount for 2020/2021 is $318.00 (which includes the fire services levy)

The Pension Rebate (if applied) is listed on your FIRST instalment Rates notice. The rebate is deducted from your total rates. An application for the rebate can be made at any time during the year.


Q: What are the fixed charges for 2021/2022

A: Fixed charges are:


Waste Management Charge (Improved or Vacant) of $185.00. This charge is levied on all properties and goes towards the cost of maintaining waste disposal facilities in the Shire, including costs of the transfer stations, street cleaning and street litter bin collection.

This is different to the kerbside collection charges and commercial garbage collection charges; these are a service charge and only those who receive the service pay.


Kerbside Waste Collection Charge of $179.00

This charge covers the actual cost of collection and disposal of domestic garbage from all dwellings within defined township (Daylesford, Creswick, Trentham and Clunes) collection areas in the Shire. The charge is compulsory for dwellings whether the service is used or not. A 120 litre capacity mobile garbage bin is the only approved container to be used for residential garbage collection. Each household is responsible for providing their own bin.


Kerbside Waste Collection Rural Charge of $148.00

This charge covers the actual cost of collection and disposal of domestic garbage from all dwellings within defined collections areas. This charge is compulsory for dwellings that have not opted out of the fortnightly collection service. A 140 litre mobile garbage bin is the only approved container to be used for garbage collection. Each household is responsible for providing their own bin.

Kerbside Waste Collection Commercial of $423.00

This is an optional service to commercial properties. Operators who choose to use this service may utilise more than one 240 litre mobile garbage bin, however the charge applies for each bin used.  Each business is responsible for providing their own bin/s.


Kerbside Recycling Collection charge of $115.00

This covers the cost of collecting recyclables from all dwellings within defined recycle collection areas in the Shire.  Council provides a 240 litre mobile garbage bin as part of this service.


Q: What is the Property Based Fire Services Levy-Fixed & Variable

A: On 1 July 2013 the Victorian Government introduced a property based levy to fund fire fighting services in Victoria, as recommended by the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission. The Fire Services Property Levy replaced the previous insurance­ based funding model. All property owners will pay the levy at the same time as they pay their council rates.

Under the property-based levy:

  • Council’s will collect the levy through rate notices on behalf of the State Government;
  • the levy will be calculated based on the capital improved value of your property;
  • the levy will consist of a fixed component plus a variable component;


The Fixed Levy is $114 for residential properties and $233 for non-residential



The Variable Levy will differ for property types such as residential, industrial, commercial and primary production. This portion of the levy is calculated as a percentage of CIV.


Eligible pensioners will be entitled to a $50 rebate against the Fire Services Levy for their principal place of residence.


Q: Who is entitled to Waste Vouchers (Tip Tickets)


A: Residential properties outside the Shire’s designated township areas that have not ‘opted in’ or are unable to receive kerbside collection will be allocated 12 tip vouchers.   These vouchers should be considered as cash and as such will not be replaced if lost or stolen.

Residents outside the designated township areas that do receive a fortnightly kerbside collection will be eligible for 2 tip vouchers. These vouchers should be considered as cash and as such will not be replaced if lost or stolen.

Tip vouchers are issued only once per property per year.

Tip vouchers should be presented at any of the three Transfer Stations in the Shire to dispose of hard or green waste to the vouchers value.


Q: When do I pay my rates?

A: Rates must be paid in four instalments due:

30 September

30 November

28 February

31 May

Unless you have taken up the 10 Direct Debit Request (DDR) payment option (see below)


Q: How and where can I pay my rates?

A: A list of payment options are below:

Direct Debit Request (DDR) – This option is unavailable if your property is in arrears.

The 10 direct debit instalment dates are set by Council and are not negotiable. Deductions occur the 3rd Friday of the month, commencing September through to June. Once this arrangement has commenced, this will continue each year until Council has been advised in writing to cease.

Direct Debit forms can be obtained from Council’s website or our offices throughout the year providing your rates are not in arrears.

Forms must be returned to Council one week before the deduction date.


To pay using BPAY, contact your participating bank, credit union or building society and make your payment directly from your cheque, savings or credit account. Make sure you quote the Biller Code and Customer Reference number located on the front of your rate notice.


BPOINT is a convenient way to pay using your credit card either online or by phone. To pay online simply go to the Rate Payments section on Council’s website, click on the BPOINT link, enter your Biller Code and Customer Reference Number shown on the front of your current rate notice or to pay by phone please call 1300 BPOINT any time, 24/7 and follow the prompts.

In person at:

Duke Street Office – Cnr Duke & Albert Streets, Daylesford

Creswick Office – 68 Albert Street, Creswick

The Warehouse – Clunes – 36 Fraser Street, Clunes

Trentham Library – 13 Albert St, Trentham

By mail:

Address to: Hepburn Shire Council, PO Box 21, Daylesford, VIC, 3460


At any Australia Post Office

Providing you have your Rates Notice with you, the Australia Post barcode can be scanned and payment made.


Q: Who sets the interest rate?

A: The State Government sets the maximum interest rate pursuant to the Penalty Interest Rate Act, and the current Penalty Interest Rate is set at 10%.


Q: What happens if I do not pay my rates?

A: Council is required under the Victorian Local Government Act to charge interest on all overdue rate amounts calculated from the date that the instalment was due until the date it is paid. Unpaid rates will be referred to our debt collection agency for legal action.


Q: If I am unable to pay my rates by the due date, what do I do?

A: Contact the Council’s Rates Department to arrange a mutually acceptable payment plan, such as making fortnightly or monthly payments to suit your budget. You can set up BPAY with your bank to have your nominated sum come out automatically.

Interest will continue to accrue on overdue amounts. For payment arrangement forms contact one of our offices.