Temporary food event

Foodtrader is the Victorian registration and notification scheme for temporary and mobile food premises, including water transport vehicles.

To legally operate a temporary or mobile food premises or water transport vehicle at events such as festivals, markets, exhibitions, single temporary stalls, fetes or sausage sizzles (in Victoria), you must:

  • Register or notify your temporary and mobile food premises with your local council in order to operate anywhere in Victoria
  • Lodge a statement of trade (SOT) to let relevant councils know where and when you will be trading in their districts.

Register now via Foodtrader

Examples of those who need to register via Foodtrader include:

  • Businesses selling food from a temporary site, such as a market or a festival stall
  • Businesses selling, giving away or sampling food at an exhibition or a trade show from a stall
  • Farmers selling produce at markets from a stall
  • Home-based business selling baked goods at markets
  • Mobile food vans or trucks
  • Coffee vans
  • Vending machine business
  • Water carters
  • Community groups hosting a sausage sizzle or cake stall
  • Community groups selling food at a market or a festival
  • Community groups cooking and selling food from a food truck or a trailer
  • Schools holding a fete or festival.

For more information contact our Environmental Health Team on (03) 5348 2306 or email shire@hepburn.vic.gov.au .

Please note: to trade, you will need to comply with any local roadside trading or planning laws. For temporary events or food premises where tables and chairs are to be set up on the footpaths, you will need a permit for the short-term location of item/s on a footway or road reserve. 

Apply for short-term location of item/s on a footway or road reserve