Other public health issues

See below for information on other public health related matters.


Asbestos was commonly used in the manufacture of residential building materials from the mid-1940s until the late 1980s.

Provided the asbestos is dealt with in a safe manner, it is of very little danger to health. While a building permit is not required for the removal of asbestos, there is a legal responsibility when building or renovating to ensure asbestos is safely removed and disposed of.

We do not accept asbestos items at our transfer stations. Visit our Transfer stations page for information on asbestos disposal and useful links.

Syringe disposal

Medical waste must be discarded in a correct and safe manner to prevent injury. Needles and syringes are to be put into approved sharps containers only and not into general waste bins. You can use one of the sharps containers located within the Shire (Creswick Hub and Duke Street customer service), or alternatively collect free sharps containers from Council offices.

If you require Council to safely dispose of a found needle please provide a precise location to (03) 5348 2306.


Smoking related diseases are some of the more preventable causes of premature death in Australia.

Council’s Environmental Health Team conduct educational and enforcement visits to tobacco retailers, eating establishments, licensed premises and gaming venues to promote an understanding of the Tobacco Act 1987 legislation and ensure compliance.

Smoke free guides and required stickers can be provided by contacting the Department of Health Tobacco Information Line 1300 136 775 or by contacting Council’s Environmental Health Team on 5348 2306.

Find out more about smoke-free areas at the Department of Health website.

For advice on how to quit smoking, call the Quitline on 131 848.

Noise complaints

If you have a noise complaint you can seek assistance from Council or police.

Contact the police on 000 if your issue is late-night noise such as parties, or issues where noisy neighbours may also be threatening.

Council may be able to assist with long-term issues, machine or animal noise. You can make a noise complaint using our report an issue form. Please note that to investigate a noise complaint, we require all your contact information. You will also be required to keep a noise diary for two weeks to assist with investigating the complaint.

For more information on noise complaints, read the Environment Protection Authority guide to dealing with residential noise, Annoyed by noise(PDF, 1MB).