What goes in my bins?

Landfill (general rubbish)

Households in townships and rural areas receive a fortnightly landfill/general rubbish collection of their red-lidded bin.

What can be placed in your landfill bin?

green tick YES
  • Soft plastics, including plastic bags.
  • Broken ceramics and glass – wrapped in paper or plastic
  • Nappies and baby wipes
  • Polystyrene and foam
  • Takeaway coffee cups.
red cross NO
  • Batteries
  • E-waste – including electrical items, appliances, TVs, computers, phones (small items can be dropped at Council hubs and libraries, larger items can be taken to the transfer stations)
  • Building waste – such as bricks, concrete and rubble
  • Asbestos
  • Light globes
  • Recyclable items such as glass, paper, cardboard
  • Food scraps and garden clippings.

Customer recycling hubs at Clunes, Creswick, Daylesford and Trentham customer service centres-libraries accept batteries, small e-waste, milk/juice lids, light globes and printer cartridges for no charge. 

Mixed recycling

Mixed recycling is a fortnightly kerbside collection of your 240L yellow-lidded bin. 

Remember – place recyclable material in loose, NOT in bags. All items should be rinsed and free of food.

What can I recycle?
green tick YES
  • Paper – including magazines and newspapers (not laminated paper)
  • Cardboard – dry and clean (not waxed)
  • Aerosol – empty
  • Plastics – rigid plastic packaging only: 1PET, 2HDPE, 5PP
  • Glass bottles and jars – lids removed
  • Food cans
  • Soft drink cans and bottles.
red cross NO
  • Soft plastics – including plastic bags and packaging
  • Polystyrene
  • Nappies
  • Food and garden materials
  • Plastic lids from milk and juice bottles.
  • Liquid paperboard – this includes long life milk/juice cartons, TetraPak, coffee cups
  • Plastic toys
  • Garden hose
  • Waxed cardboard
  • Shredded paper.

Plastic items that are currently recyclable are those with numbers 1PET, 2HDPE and 5PP on the item (check on the bottom). 

You might also see the following symbols (Australasian Recycling Label) on items you buy. This aims to make it clear what to do with packaging but there are differences across states and councils on what is collected currently. So, it will give you an indication of what you can do but for rigid plastics and long-life containers in our region it is not always accurate (use the type of plastic 1PET, 2HDPE or 5PP on the container as the best guide) and keep long life cartons out. 

Items placed in a kerbside recycling bin are taken to a Materials Recovery Facility for sorting before being sent for processing. 

There are other materials that are recyclable but not through your kerbside bin. For more information visit other waste.

Food and garden organics

Township properties receive a weekly 120L lime green-lidded food and garden organics bin. For more information on this service including videos for tips and answers Frequently Asked Questions visit Your organics bin explained.

What can I put in my organics bin?

green tick YES
  • All food waste
  • Fruit (including citrus)
  • Vegetables
  • Meat
  • Fish
  • Bones
  • Dairy products
  • Eggshells
  • Bread
  • Pasta
  • Cereals
  • Tea leaves and bags (no plastic teabags)
  • Coffee grinds
  • Mouldy food
  • Garden prunings (less than 75mm)
  • Lawn clippings
  • Leaves
  • Weeds
  • Flowers
  • Hair
  • Shredded paper - small amounts.
red cross NO
  • Plastics
  • Plastic, compostable or biodegradable bags
  • Biodegradable or compostable items
  • Nappies
  • Fabric (e.g. clothing)
  • Dryer lint (it will contain man-made fibres like nylon and polyester etc.)
  • Vacuum cleaner bag contents (will contain inorganic residue)
  • Hard waste or broken household items, like furniture or plates and cups
  • Thick branches (max. 75 mm diameter)
  • Paper (if small amounts and food soiled it is okay)
  • Fruit stickers
  • Tea bags with plastics
  • Kitty litter
  • Animal droppings.

Avoid a smelly bin

Kitchen caddy – drain liquid from leftovers before putting them in your caddy, avoid placing the caddy in direct sunlight, freeze anything very smelly until collection day.

Kerbside bin – put garden clippings at the bottom to collect drips from food organic material. Try not to store your wheelie bin in all-day sun if possible.

A-Z household guide for waste disposal

We have developed a guide to help residents to understand the best ways to dispose of household waste. Read the A-Z household guide(PDF, 114KB) now.

You can also collect a printed copy from your closest Council hub, library or transfer station.

A-Z page 1.JPG(PDF, 114KB)A-Z page 2.JPG(PDF, 114KB)


Transfer stations (tip) vouchers

Some properties are eligible to receive vouchers for use at the transfer stations. These are:

  • Rural properties with a kerbside service – eligible to receive two tip vouchers a year.
  • Rural properties where kerbside collection service is not available – eligible to receive 12 tip vouchers a year.

Eligible residents or renters can collect tip vouchers from the transfer stations or from our customer service centres/hubs. You will need to provide proof of ID or a copy of your rates notice. Renters can collect vouchers if they have a letter from the property owner.

Each voucher allows for the disposal of up to 0.5 cubic metres of waste (landfill, recycling, other items) free of charge at Council’s transfer stations in Creswick, Daylesford and Trentham.

Visit transfer station for more information about what is accepted.