Council maintains 612km of sealed roads, 844km of unsealed roads, 82km of kerb and channel, 35km of footpaths and 5,000 road signs. 

Road inspections are carried out throughout the year on the road network to determine required road maintenance.

General maintenance activities can include:

  • Grading works on unsealed roads
  • Minor patching/grading of shoulders on sealed roads
  • Table drain maintenance
  • Vegetation control/roadside slashing program
  • Sign installation and maintenance
  • Line marking renewal
  • Bridge maintenance
  • Guidepost installation 

Report a problem

To report damaged shoulders, potholes and maintenance requirements for Council-managed roads, or request new or replacement road signs raise a service request.

Council also welcomes requests for roads to be upgraded. We will assess and rank the applications based on the criteria outlined in the Road Upgrade Policy(PDF, 460KB). The highest-ranking submission(s) will be included in the normal budget preparation process.

Please note, to ensure a proposal’s inclusion in evaluations for the following year’s capital works program, road upgrade requests should be submitted no later than December of each year.

Prior to completing the form, make sure you have read the Road Upgrade Policy(PDF, 460KB).

Make a road upgrade request

Regional Roads Victoria managed roads (VicRoads)

If you would like to report a problem with a road that is managed by Regional Roads Victoria (formerly VicRoads), you can contact them via their website LINK TO: or phone 131 778.

The following roads are under the control of Regional Roads Victoria:

  • Midland Highway
  • Daylesford Trentham Road
  • Ballan Daylesford Road
  • Daylesford Newstead Road (from Franklinford)
  • Creswick Newstead Road (to Campbelltown)
  • Clunes Creswick Road
  • Ballarat Maryborough Road
  • Trentham Kyneton Road
  • Myrniong Trentham Road (Blackwood Road)
  • Daylesford Malmsbury Road
  • Daylesford Ballarat Road (Dean Road from Newlyn)
  • Clunes Talbot Road
  • Bungaree Creswick Road.

Public road register

Council is responsible for local roads within the Shire, this excludes arterial roads and intersections to arterial roads.

Council maintained roads are listed on the public road register. Where roads are not listed they are not maintained by Council, although Council remains the Responsible Authority. The public road register also defines the hierarchy of each road, roads are inspected and maintained differently based on their hierarchy.

Council’s Road Management Plan (RMP) sets the level of service, inspection intervals and response times for each road category. The RMP is updated every four years and the public can make submissions regarding these levels.

Read the Public Road Register 2021(PDF, 1MB).

Council’s road management

Roadside slashing

Council’s roadside slashing program usually begins in the first week of November and continues through to the end of December. The program involves slashing on approximately 450kms of sealed roads.

As the grass generally dries out earlier in the north and western areas of the Shire (e.g. Clunes and Drummond), those towns are generally slashed first compared to towns in the southern parts of the Shire (e.g. Daylesford and Trentham).

Gravel re-sheet and grading

Council’s annual gravel road re-sheet program involves the laying of new gravel, and the re-establishment of drainage and culvert cleaning of gravel roads around the municipality.

Council’s grading program is a rolling program across the municipality generally commencing in September and working through to April. The program is weather dependent with a focus on high trafficked roads and roads in poor condition.  

Road Management Plan

The Road Management Plan(PDF, 2MB) (RMP) outlines how Council manages its road and footpath network and provides a means for scheduling proactive inspections and prioritisation of maintenance to ensure that it is kept in the safest condition practicable within budgetary constraints.

Local roads are categorised in the RMP depending on their use (link, collector and local access). The categorisation helps scheduling of inspections and maintenance response times. Some roads, although Council’s responsibility to manage, are categorised as ‘maintained track’ or ‘non-maintained’. These roads received limited maintenance or no maintenance respectively.

The details of Council’s road hierarchy and service levels are included in the RMP. The RMP is renewed and updated every four years in accordance the Local Government Act and within the provisions of the Road Management Act 2004.

Speed limits

The Department of Transport has ultimate control of speed limits in Victoria. However, any requests to change speed limits on local roads needs to come from Council.

Where evidence of a required review exists, officers will review the speed limit against the standards. If a change in speed limit has some merit, Council receives additional input from local police.

Enforcement of speeding is responsibility of Victoria Police.

Some roads have no sign posted speed limit. These are default limits. Currently all urban speeds limits are 50km/hr unless signposted differently and 100km/h on rural roads. Default limits exist because it is not possible to fully evaluate every road in the Shire, often they have low traffic volumes and are predominately used by local vehicles.

Street lighting

Public street lighting is primarily required to provide safe and comfortable movement at night for both pedestrians and vehicles.

Council’s Guidelines for the Provision of Streetlights in Local Roads(PDF, 618KB) outlines how we consider requests for new street lighting or adjustments to lamps. Requests can be submitted via email.

Requests regarding defects and faulty streetlights can be reported directly to Powercor.

B Doubles and Higher Mass Limit Vehicles Access Permit

Operators are required to obtain a permit from National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) for B-Double and/or Higher Mass Limit Vehicle access.

The application process including the application form is detailed on the NHVR website.

Related documents

Public Road Register - 2021(PDF, 1MB)