Amend a planning permit/application

If you wish to make an amendment to your plans you will need to submit a request. Which request applies to you will depend on the status of you application. Please read through the options below carefully to find out which type of amendment you need. If you are not sure which one to apply for please contact our Statutory Planning team weekdays from 1pm to 4pm on (03) 5348 2306 (Option 4)

Change a planning application in progress (Section 50/57A – a decision has not been made)

If you have a planning permit application or planning amendment in progress and a decision has not yet been made, you can apply to amend the application under Section 50 & 57A of the planning and environment act 1987. 

Apply for a section 50/57A Amendment

I want to make minor changes to the approved plans (Secondary consent)

You can apply to make minor changes to your approved plans.

Some types of changes under Secondary consent:

  • Internal wall changes
  • Change materials or external finishes/colours
  • Move a window

This process is quicker but only an option if the alterations are considered minor by planning officers. You are required to submit with your application for secondary consent the following information:

  • A scaled and fully dimensioned plan that clearly identifies all of the proposed changes.

  • A short written summary of the proposed changes.


Fees apply. Visit the fees, forms & checklists page for more information.

Apply for a Secondary Consent


I want to change what was originally allowed, the permit conditions or the approved plans (Section 72)

Some types of changes under a Section 72 Amendment:

  • Change to the proposal description
  • Significant changes to plans
  • Change or deletion of permit conditions

This follows the same process as a planning permit application.

You should include the following documents with your application:

  • A new set of scaled and fully dimensioned plans showing the proposed changes (the number of sheets provided to be the same as the initially endorsed plans). The plans are to be marked with red clouding around all changes and have no endorsed stamp.
  • A recent Certificate of Title (no more than 100 days old) this must include the register search statement, title plan and any encumbrances listed on the register search statement (such as Caveat, Covenant and Section 173 agreement). If you don't have one, you can request a copy of Title online. 

Council must now seek the consent of any person (including third parties) before publishing any personal information (other than the land address relevant to the submission) due to the introduction of the COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) Act 2020. We appreciate your cooperation on this matter and ask that you not submit any plans or documents which contain personal information.


Fees apply. View the fees, forms and checklists page for more information.

If you do not provide all of the above, we may not be able to process the application. You may be asked to provide more information to help us assess your application

If we support the changes, we will issue an amended permit, which will outline the changes.

If we agree to the changes but objections from the public have been received when the application was advertised, we will issue a Notice of Decision to Amend a Permit.

If we don’t support the changes, we will issue a Refusal to Amend a Permit.


Apply for a Section 72 Amendment

I want to amend a VicSmart Application

If you have already lodged a VicSmart Permit Application and you wish to make an amendment to the plans then you will need to submit a request.

Apply to amend VicSmart Application