Shipping containers

A planning and/or building permit may be needed to use a shipping container for:

  • personal/domestic storage
  • commercial purposes
  • farm or machinery storage 
  • habitable purposes.

Use as a domestic or farm storage

A shipping container used for domestic storage, farm storage or as a detached habitable building, such as a studio or rumpus room/bungalow, will be classified as an outbuilding under the Hepburn Shire Planning Scheme.

A planning permit for building and works to site an outbuilding/shipping container on your property may be required, depending on your property’s planning zones and overlays. See our Planning advice page.

Commercial storage

A property used to store empty shipping containers could be considered a commercial use of the land. An application for a planning permit is be required to be lodged with Council.

Use as a habitable building or shed

Shipping containers used on properties for medium or long-term use as a habitable or non-habitable outbuilding, shed, storage or similar will require a building permit. See our Building permits page.

Use on a building site

Shipping containers placed on site temporarily to assist in moving house or for site building works during construction do not require a Building or Planning Permit. It is recommended that the surrounding neighbours be notified of the proposed timelines.

Other uses

Shipping containers used on commercial properties for any purpose other than short-term loading of goods for shipping purposes or in designated container storage facilities, require a building permit. See our Building permits page.

If the container requires a permit, it must comply with the requirements of the building regulations and all the relevant parts of the National Construction Code.