Bin collection

Search for your next bin collection (below) or download and print a bin collection calendar. 

Not sure which area you're in? See our township collection maps for Clunes(PDF, 542KB), Creswick(PDF, 3MB), Daylesford(PDF, 540KB), Hepburn/Hepburn Springs(PDF, 2MB), Trentham(PDF, 720KB).

Online search for kerbside collections

Find your collection date for your general rubbish, recycling and food and garden organics bin

Please note: You will need to enter your address in the correct format to find it (without commas). Examples:

  • 2745 Midland Highway Newlyn VIC 3364
  • 27/21 Hospital Street Daylesford VIC 3460
  • 2a Water Street Creswick VIC 3363

If your address does not load, try typing just your street name to select from list. If you still can't find your address or notice something incorrect with collection schedule, please contact the Customer Service Team 5348 2306.

Start typing your street address, then select it from the list:

Bin placement

Place bins out the night before your collection day to ensure your bins are emptied (or by 6am on the day of collection):

  • Place bins close to the gutter with the handles facing your house.
  • Place your bins apart, ideally 1m.
  • Ensure only permitted items are in your bin.
  • Do not overfill or place anything on top of the bins.
  • Place smaller bins closer to the side of the driver so they are visible.
A-Z household guide for waste disposal

We have developed a guide to help residents to understand the best ways to dispose of household waste. Read the A-Z household guide(PDF, 114KB). Collect a printed copy from your closest Council hub or library.

Landfill (General rubbish)

What can be placed in your landfill bin?

green tick YES
  • Soft plastics, including plastic bags.
  • Broken ceramics and glass – wrapped in paper or plastic
  • Nappies and baby wipes
  • Polystyrene and foam
  • Takeaway coffee cups.
red cross NO
  • Batteries
  • E-waste – including electrical items, appliances, TVs, computers, phones (small items can be dropped at Council hubs and libraries, larger items can be taken to the transfer stations)
  • Building waste – such as bricks, concrete and rubble
  • Asbestos
  • Light globes
  • Recyclable items such as glass, paper, cardboard
  • Food scraps and garden clippings.

Customer service hubs at Clunes, Creswick, Daylesford and Trentham accept batteries, small e-waste, milk/juice lids, light globes and printer cartridges for no charge.

Visit our transfer station page for details on items accepted.

Mixed recycling

Council provides a fortnightly mixed recycling kerbside collection (yellow-lidded bins) service to the townships of Clunes, Creswick, Daylesford, Glenlyon, Hepburn, Hepburn Springs and Trentham and also some rural areas. Mixed recycling is also collected at the three transfer stations (fees apply).

Remember – place recyclable material in loose, NOT in bags. All items should be free of food.

What can I recycle?
green tick YES
  • Paper – including magazines and newspapers (not laminated paper)
  • Cardboard – dry and clean (not waxed)
  • Aerosol – empty
  • Plastics – rigid plastic packaging only: 1PET, 2HDPE, 5PP.
  • Glass bottles and jars – lids removed
  • Food cans
  • Soft drink cans and bottles.
red cross NO
  • Soft plastics – including plastic bags and packaging.
  • Polystyrene
  • Nappies
  • Food and garden materials
  • Plastic lids from milk and juice bottles.
  • Liquid paperboard – this includes milk/juice cartons, UHT, TetraPak, coffee cups
  • Plastic toys
  • Garden hose
  • Waxed cardboard
  • Shredded paper.

Items placed in a kerbside recycling bin are taken to a Materials Recovery Facility.

There are other materials that are recyclable but not through your kerbside bin. For more information visit other waste.

Food and garden organics

From 8 April 2024 township residential properties will have a food and garden organics bin collection.

What can I put in my organics bin?

green tick YES
  • All food waste
  • Fruit (including citrus)
  • Vegetables
  • Meat
  • Fish
  • Bones
  • Dairy products
  • Eggshells
  • Bread
  • Pasta
  • Cereals
  • Tea leaves and bags (no plastic teabags)
  • Coffee grinds
  • Mouldy food
  • Garden prunings (less than 75mm)
  • Lawn clippings
  • Leaves
  • Weeds
  • Flowers
  • Hair
  • Shredded paper - small amounts
red cross NO
  • Plastics
  • Plastic, compostable or biodegradable bags
  • Biodegradable or compostable items
  • Nappies
  • Fabric (e.g. clothing)
  • Dryer lint (it will contain man-made fibres like nylon and polyester etc.)
  • Vacuum cleaner bag contents (will contain inorganic residue)
  • Hard waste or broken household items, like furniture or plates and cups
  • Thick branches (max. 75 mm diameter)
  • Paper (if small amounts and food soiled it is okay)
  • Fruit stickers
  • Tea bags with plastics
  • Kitty litter
  • Animal droppings.

Avoid a smelly bin

Kitchen caddy – drain liquid from leftovers before putting them in your caddy, avoid placing the caddy in direct sunlight, freeze anything very smelly until collection day.

Kerbside bin – put garden clippings at the bottom to collect drips from food organic material. Try not to store your wheelie bin in all-day sun if possible.

Vouchers for transfer stations (tip vouchers)

Some properties are eligible to receive vouchers for use at the transfer stations. These are:

  • Rural properties with a kerbside service – eligible to receive two tip vouchers a year.
  • Rural properties where kerbside collection service is not available – eligible to receive 12 tip vouchers a year.

Eligible residents or renters can collect tip vouchers from the transfer stations or from our customer service centres/hubs. You will need to provide proof of ID or a copy of your rates notice. Renters can collect vouchers if they have a letter from the property owner.

Each voucher allows for the disposal of up to 0.5 cubic metres of waste (landfill, recycling, other items) free of charge at Council’s transfer stations in Creswick, Daylesford and Trentham.

Visit transfer station for more information about what is accepted.