Bin collection


Search for your next collections (below) or download and print a bin collection calendar. 

Online search for kerbside collections

Find your collection date for your general rubbish, recycling and food and garden organics bin*.

Start typing your street address, then select it from the list:

Please note: You will need to enter your address in the correct format to find it (without commas). Examples:

  • 2745 Midland Highway Newlyn VIC 3364
  • 27/21 Hospital Street Daylesford VIC 3460
  • 2a Water Street Creswick VIC 3363

If your address does not load, try typing just your street name to select from list. If you still can't find your address or notice something incorrect with collection schedule, please contact the Customer Service Team 5348 2306.


Bin placement

Place bins out the night before your collection day to ensure your bins are emptied (or by 6am on the day of collection):

  • Place bins close to the gutter with the handles facing your house.
  • Place your bins apart, ideally 1m.
  • Ensure only permitted items are in your bin.
  • Do not overfill or place anything on top of the bins.
  • Place smaller bins closer to the side of the driver so they are visible.

Landfill (General rubbish)

What can be placed in your landfill bin?

green tick YES
  • Food scraps (please compost this or if in Clunes, use the lime-green lidded organics bin)
  • Soft plastics, including plastic bags.
  • Broken ceramics and glass – wrapped in paper or plastic
  • Nappies and baby wipes
  • Polystyrene and foam
  • Takeaway coffee cups.
red cross NO
  • Batteries
  • E-waste – including electrical items, appliances, TVs, computers, phones (small items can be dropped at Council hubs and libraries, larger items can be taken to the transfer stations)
  • Building waste – such as bricks, concrete and rubble
  • Asbestos
  • Light globes
  • Recyclable items such as glass, paper, cardboard.

Customer service hubs at Clunes, Creswick, Daylesford and Trentham accept batteries, small e-waste, milk/juice lids, light globes and printer cartridges for no charge.

Visit our transfer station page for details on items accepted.

Mixed recycling

Council provides a fortnightly mixed recycling kerbside collection (yellow-lidded bins) service to the townships of Clunes, Creswick, Daylesford, Glenlyon, Hepburn, Hepburn Springs and Trentham and also some rural areas. Mixed recycling is also collected at the three transfer stations (fees apply).

Remember – place recyclable material in loose, NOT in bags. All items should be free of food.

What can I recycle?
green tick YES
  • Paper – including magazines and newspapers (not laminated paper)
  • Cardboard – dry and clean (not waxed)
  • Aerosol – empty
  • Plastics – rigid plastic packaging only: 1PET, 2HDPE, 5PP.
  • Glass bottles and jars – lids removed
  • Food cans
  • Soft drink cans and bottles 
red cross NO
  • Soft plastics – including plastic bags and packaging.
  • Polystyrene
  • Nappies
  • Food and garden materials
  • Plastic lids from milk and juice bottles (drop these at Council Customer Service hubs)
  • Liquid paperboard – this includes milk/juice cartons, UHT, TetraPak, coffee cups
  • Plastic toys
  • Garden hose
  • Waxed cardboard
  • Shredded paper
  • Black plastic items

Items placed in a kerbside recycling bin are taken to a Materials Recovery Facility.

There are other materials that are recyclable but not through your kerbside bin. For more information visit other waste.

Food and garden organics

We are currently running a trial kerbside organics (food and garden) collection in Clunes township. This service is free to residents during the trial. The food and garden organics bin accepts NO bags. Residents will continue to have their landfill bin collected weekly and recycling bin fortnightly. 

Part of the trial is processing the contents locally. In-vessel compost units at Creswick Transfer Station are currently being used and making great quality compost. Currently no compost is available for community use. However, it is planned to be used locally as part of the program collection going forward.

The current trial has been extended until a decision about future services across the Shire is made. This will allow more data to be gathered to inform future services across the Shire.

What can I put in my organics bin?
green tick YES
  • All food waste
  • Fruit (including citrus)
  • Vegetables
  • Meat
  • Fish
  • Bones
  • Dairy products
  • Eggshells
  • Bread
  • Pasta
  • Cereals
  • Tea leaves and bags (no plastic teabags)
  • Coffee grinds
  • Mouldy food
  • Garden prunings (less than 75mm)
  • Lawn clippings
  • Leaves
  • Weeds
  • Flowers
  • Animal droppings
  • Kitty litter
  • Hair
red cross NO
  • Plastics
  • Plastic bags or any bagged material
  • Biodegradable or compostable
  • Nappies
  • Fabric (e.g. clothing)
  • Dryer lint (it will contain man-made fibres like nylon and polyester etc.)
  • Vacuum cleaner bag contents (will contain inorganic residue)
  • Hard waste or broken household items, like furniture or plates and cups
  • Thick branches (max. 75 mm diameter)
  • Paper (if small amounts and food soiled it is okay)
  • Fruit stickers
  • Tea bags with plastics.
Avoid a smelly bin

Kitchen caddy – drain liquid from leftovers before putting them in your caddy, avoid placing the caddy in direct sunlight, freeze anything very smelly until collection day.

Kerbside bin – put garden clippings at the bottom to collect drips from food organic material. Try not to store your wheelie bin in all-day sun if possible.

Vouchers for transfer stations (tip vouchers)

Some properties are eligible to receive vouchers for use at the transfer stations. These are:

  • Rural properties with a kerbside service – eligible to receive two tip vouchers a year.
  • Rural properties where kerbside collection service is not available – eligible to receive 12 tip vouchers a year.

Eligible residents or renters can collect tip vouchers from the transfer stations or from our customer service centres/hubs. You will need to provide proof of ID or a copy of your rates notice. Renters can collect vouchers if they have a letter from the property owner.

Each voucher allows for the disposal of up to 0.5 cubic metres of waste (landfill, recycling, other items) free of charge at Council’s transfer stations in Creswick, Daylesford and Trentham.

Visit transfer station for more information about what is accepted.