Apply for a building permit

A building permit is a document issued by a registered building surveyor to signify that the plans and documentation for the proposed work meets requirements for health, safety and structural soundness under the Building Code of Australia, the Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2018. Victoria's Building Permit and Levy Laws changed from 1 July 2019. See for details. 

How to apply for a building permit – a step-by-step guide

From late November 2023, Council are temporarily unable to accept Building Permit applications.

Registered private building surveyors issue building permits in Hepburn Shire.

1. Check if a building permit is needed

Some types of building works may not require a building permit. To seek advice on whether a building permit is needed visit our Do I need a building permit page.

2. Find a building surveyor

Within Hepburn Shire, registered private building surveyors issue building permits and conduct the appropriate inspections.

Find a registered Building Surveyor via the Victorian Building Authority's website.

3. Prepare documents

Speak to your building surveyor to find out what documents are required to lodge your application. This includes documents required to comply with the Building Regulations 2018. See the checklist below to guide what you’ll need.

4. Lodge

Lodge your application with your chosen building surveyor and pay any required fees.

5. Receive the building permit

Your building surveyor will check for compliance with the Building Act and regulations. If it complies, they will issue your building permit. A copy of the building permit must be sent to the owner, the applicant, and the nominated builder. Do not start work until you have a copy of the building permit in your possession.

Checklist for your Building Permit application

See below the information you need to submit for a building permit

To apply for a building permit for outbuildings:

Building Permits are available through Private Building Surveyors.  A list of registered Building Surveyors is available on the VBA website.

The below items may be required by the private Building Surveyor to assess your application:

  • Copy of Planning Permit and Endorsed Drawings – if applicable
  • Floor Plans and Elevations
  • Engineering design drawings and calculations including a Certificate of Compliance-Design in accordance with Regulation 126
  • Allotment (Site) Plan – Dimensioned plan of land with existing and proposed buildings shown including distances from other buildings and boundaries:
    • The boundaries and dimensions of the allotment and any easements that are relevant to the proposed work
    • The distance to the nearest intersecting street
    • The levels of the allotment, floors of the building, street drainage channel and stormwater drain
    • The layout of drains to the point of discharge on the allotment
    • The location and dimensions of carparking spaces
    • The location, dimensions and area of private open space
  • Domestic work value exceeding $16,000 requires either:
    • Builders Warranty Insurance – When a registered builder is engaged
    • Owner Builder Certificate of Consent – For owner builders
  • Set of Plans endorsed by Central Highlands Water – If in a sewered area
  • Copy of Certificate of Title and Title Plan drawing – Including copy of plan of subdivision and any covenants, if applicable
  • Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment Report
  • Legal Point of Discharge
  • Payment of fees.
Dwelling construction or alteration requires the above and the following:
  • Septic Tank permit – Required for new dwellings and some alterations in non-sewered areas
  • Soil Test Report
  • 6 Star Energy Assessment – For new dwellings and additions to dwellings over 25% of total floor area
Re-located dwellings require the above (both checklists) and the following:
  • Payment of Security Bond ($10,000) or a Bank Guarantee with Victorian Building Authority as the favouree
  • Photographs of Elevations of the building (all sides)
  • Report from a building surveyor/inspector on the state of the building and suitability for re-use
  • Specification on wall finishes and roof claddings.

Owner's duty to notify of the final cost of works

Owners have a duty to notify the Victorian Building Authority of revised final costs of works. The duty to notify the VBA of the revised final cost of work applies to work carried out under a building permit issued on and from 1 July 2019:

  • if the revised final cost exceeds the relevant building surveyor’s initial estimate under s205I by at least $15,625; and
  • when the duty holder becomes aware of the revised final cost of work (notification must be made within 28 days).
  • where the owner fails to notify the VBA of a variation to building work, or where false or misleading information relating to the cost of building work has been provided, penalty levy may apply.

To notify the VBA of the final works costs, complete the Notification of increased building costs for building permits form and attach any supporting documents (for example, quotes, invoices or a copy of an amended building permit).

What other permits may be required to build?

As well as a building permit, you may require further permits or approvals before starting your building works. These approvals (excluding the crossover permit) must be obtained and provided to your building surveyor before the Building Permit can be issued.

Planning Permit - For use and/or development of the building or land

Siting Variation - When a building design does not comply with the building regulation siting requirements, you will need to apply for Council Consent (often known as dispensation)

Owner Builder Consent - If you are an owner builder and the value of works will be over $16,000, you will need a Certificate of Consent from the Victorian Building Authority. Value of works must include all materials and labour at a commercial value. For more information on owner builder consent, visit

Demolition Consent - For demolition or removal of a building (including partial). 

Septic System - Approval to install and use a septic system/domestic wastewater management system

Crossover Permit - For installation or alteration to crossovers for a driveway.

Apply for an extension of time for your Building Permit

If you need to extend your Building Permit complete the form below.

Apply to extend your Building Permit


Related information

Plans and Permits Checklist - Consumer Affairs Victoria

VBA Building Resources

VBA Building Regulatory Framework

VBA Website

To discuss your proposal further contact Council’s Building Department on (03) 5348 2306 or email