A Permit to Install or Alter a Septic System must be approved before any work begins. If you are also building, the septic permit is required before a building permit can be issued.
Because Hepburn Shire is a water catchment area, to apply for a permit to install or alter a septic system, you will be asked to provide a Land Capability Assessment (LCA).
A LCA involves tests and studies to determine how the land can be used, by looking at the land features, soil properties and potential impact on water catchments. The LCA will typically require you to install a specific type of system suited to the property, depending on the nature of the land and the size of the proposed dwelling.
Please fill out our online form for a permit to alter or install a septic system.
Apply to alter or install a septic system(PDF, 498KB)
You will need to supply the following as part of your application:
- Completed and signed application form (the form MUST be signed by the property owner)
- A detailed floor plan of the dwelling (if applicable)
- A Site/Allotment Plan showing the items listed in the form, including distances to water sources and property boundaries. This plan must be completed by the plumber installing the system
- Current copy of Title
- A Land Capability Assessment (obtained as part of a Planning Permit, or separately)
- Plans and specifications of the proposed system, (including the specific tank or treatment plant if relevant)
- If an alteration, Council will also a plan detailing the existing system and dwelling, clearly differentiated from the proposed changes
- Pay the required fee to install or alter. (If you apply online or submit the forms via email, Council will contact you for payment of the required fee to install or alter).