Report a suspected breach

You may report a suspected breach when you think someone has:

  • Built something without getting a planning permit
  • Obtained a permit but they're not complying with its conditions
  • Breached the Hepburn Shire Planning Scheme or an encumbrance on title such as a Section 173 Agreement.
  • Built something that isn't consistent with the endorsed plans.

Examples of breaches or non-compliance may include:

  • Prohibited use of a property
  • Changes to the approved materials and colour finishes
  • Relocated plant and equipment
  • Change of land use without planning approval (where approval is required)
  • Works conducted without obtaining relevant council planning approval
  • Using a business outside hours specified in the permit
  • Vegetation removal
  • Works on a heritage-zoned property without planning approval.
  • Window screenings that aren't installed in accordance with the permit
  • Changes to approved wall heights.

How do I report a breach?

We will request for your information in writing. However, to discuss a reported breach or to report a breach that requires urgent attention call our Planning Compliance Team on (03) 5348 2306.

When you report a breach please include:

  • Your name, address, and contact number
  • The address of the property in question
  • Details of the non-compliance
  • Any other relevant information to help us investigate.

Submit the information via email to


In person at one of our offices.


By mail to:

Hepburn Shire Council
PO Box 21
Daylesford VIC 3460.

We treat all complaints in strict confidentiality, in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.