Swimming pool and spa regulations

Victorian law (Regulations) requires property owners to register pools and spas with Council. This is to ensure that pool and spa barriers meet required safety standards.

If you have a pool or spa you must

  • Register it with Council
  • Ensure safety barriers are inspected and certified

The Regulations also set:

  • a process for dealing with barriers which do not meet safety requirements
  • set fees for initial registration, and for lodgement of certificates of compliance and non-compliance.


The Victorian Government, in the Building Regulations 2018, set maximum fees applicable for pool registration and for lodging certificates. In Hepburn Shire the fees are:

Description of fee

Fee (incl. GST)

Pool or Spa Registration Fee


Information Search Fee


Lodgement of Certificate of Barrier Compliance


Lodgement of Certificate of Barrier Non-compliance




I am a pool/spa owner. How do I meet the regulations?

  1. All owners are required to register their pools and spas with Council by 1 November 2020 or if constructed after that date, within 30 days of issue of the Occupancy Permit or Certificate of Final Inspection.
  2. Registering your pool or spa also requires you to have your pool or spa safety barriers assessed by adequately registered building surveyors or inspectors. They will issue Certificates of Barrier Compliance or Non-Compliance, which owners will need to then lodge with Council within 30 days of their receipt. Certificates of Barrier Non-Compliance will need to be acted upon. If a safety barrier is not compliant, it is the owner’s responsibility to make the barrier compliant.

Apply to register your swimming pool or spa

Which pools need to meet safety requirements?

Swimming pools and spas that can hold more than 300 mm (30 cm) of water. This includes permanent pools, above ground pools, indoor pools, hot tubs, bathing or wading pools and some relocatable pools. 

When do I need to lodge my certificate of compliance or non-compliance?

There are staggered deadlines for lodging compliance certificates depending on when your pool was built.  The deadline for providing the first Certificate of Barrier Compliance will be sent to you after Council has received your pool or spa registration application.

Inspections will need to be undertaken and the issued Certificate of Barrier Compliance will then be required to be lodged with Council every four years.

The date required to provide future Certificate of Barrier Compliance will be advised by Council.

How do I prove compliance?

Any work completed on an existing safety barrier, other than basic maintenance such as replacing a hinge, requires a Building Permit to alter the barrier. Any work to alter an existing barrier will need to comply with current Regulations.  

Visit the Building Permit page.

More information

For more information about pool/spa registration and pool/spa barrier compliance, including frequently asked questions, please check the Victorian Building Authority’s Pools and Spas Safety page or call Council’s Building Services Department on (03) 5348 2306 or email shire@hepburn.vic.gov.au.